Managers and leaders are two different animals, but every organization has both.
If you want to see better results in your business, train all your managers to step out of their current roles and into a leadership mindset. Check the list below to see how your people measure up on the leadership scale:
- Believe they must catch people doing something wrong.
- Generate laws that create more need for cops.
- Provide instructions.
- Focus on the short term.
- Controls others.
- Make decisions.
- Believe their job is to maintain the status quo.
- Focus on how things happen.
- Believe they're masters.
- Take power, credit and control.
- Catch people doing things right.
- Create a culture that controls behavior.
- Provide vision.
- Envision the future.
- Control themselves.
- Influence decisions.
- Change the status quo so that there is continuous improvement.
- Pay attention to what is happening.
- Believe they're servants.
- Empower, give credit and avoid controlling.
"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - Gen. George S. Patton